Thursday, June 3, 2010

How are YOU dealing with the daily media images of the gulf coast wildlife?

I'm doing rather poorly.

I've been researching what I might be able to do to help- from the opposite coast for better or worse. A few hours on the computer have offered up many avenues, including how to help at the gulf with time, materials, money, and actually, how to become a "first responder" for future devastation, particularly on our own Pacific coast.

I write this blog post so I may offer out a letter the Audubon Society has suggested concerned and sickened people send to our legislators. ALL legislators. I have modified it so it sounds most like me; use it, modify it some more, or check out the original letter and other info here.

Dear Whoever,
The oil spill and images I see daily make my heart hurt, so I am writing to urge you to support President Obama's $35.6 million budget request for Coastal Louisiana restoration projects. While not a lot of money, it will begin the important work of rebuilding Louisiana's wetlands and marshes.
A healthy coastline is better able to withstand a variety of threats, whether from the damage the oil spill will certainly inflict or costly storm damage. Communities in Louisiana that haven't fully recovered from the devastation of Katrina are now facing a second economic blow as a result of the spill. We have an opportunity to create jobs, work to mitigate the impacts of this tragic oil spill, and again rebuild the critical coastal marshlands that nurture a significant Gulf of Mexico fishing industry, and buffer the Louisiana coast and its communities from storms and other threats.
PLEASE, please, please support full funding for Coastal Louisiana restoration and support the President's budget request of $35.6 million. With all my being, I believe we must do everything we can to alleviate the potential destruction of our singular, precious environment.
Thank you for your attention,


Thanks for reading this post. It's all I can do today... we'll see about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment