Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Patti, Robert and Just Kids

Just finished reading "Just Kids" by Patti Smith, about her long standing love/relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. 


The book has had a profound impact on me, personally.  I don't know if it's generational, geographical (being from New York, the setting of the memoir), or simply the artistic beauty with which Patti Smith writes and shares her passions.  



While Smith concludes with her personal rationale for writing the story, as I reader I find the inherent value so much deeper.   During the reading of the book, one is immersed into the many intimate moments, as witnessed in these images.  And the 1970's were that time when I was evaluating the same issues: drugs, fashion, homosexuality, music, poetry, and friendships/love.  


If you read and love the arts, you can't miss with this story, one poetic, historic, romantic, soulful and artistic. Brilliant, inspirational and sentimental without a touch of the maudlin. A must read and on my top ten books ever.  Might be the only book I read again, and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment