Saturday, September 10, 2011

Nice Watercolors... Nice.


I recently connected with an old friend, actually from almost 25 years ago, who I always thought of as a horse/business woman, and who I just discovered is painting and selling her watercolors.  Now, how is it possible, in this small town of Chico where every artist knows of every artist, that I have never heard her name bandied about?  How is she selling her artwork (I surely am not making buckets of dough) and I've never seen her work on coffee shop or gallery walls?  How is it that she is teaching watercolors in Mexico and we haven't crossed paths here in the Chico art scene not one time?

A watercolor painting by Mel Stabin.
Absolutely bedoggling.

How much of this has to do with painting what the public LIKES. Back to that "public likes" thing, ya know.  I think I hate it.  I know what it's about, but I don't know what I want to do with it.

I think I need to study the art of Zen.


No comments:

Post a Comment