Friday, May 28, 2010

The Girl Effect


I can't believe I never saw The Girl Effect before; tell me this is new. So, I’m copying this straight off the page that has floored me tonight:

Here’s the thing: Girls living in poverty are uniquely capable of creating a better future. But when a girl reaches adolescence, she comes to a crossroads. Things can go one of two ways for her- and for everyone around her.
One: She gets a chance, gets educated, stays healthy and HIV-negative, marries when she chooses, raises a healthy family, and has the opportunity to raise the standard of living for herself, her brothers, her family, her community, and her country.
Two: None of these things happen. She is illiterate, married off, isolated, pregnant, and vulnerable to HIV. She and her family are stuck in a cycle of poverty.

It’s no big deal.
Just the future of humanity.


Sometimes I want to write. Sometimes others have already written so eloquently, there is little left to do but share.

No comments:

Post a Comment